Monday, November 1, 2010

#15: White Out

I've been to weddings with ugly flowers, no flowers, colorful flowers, but never to a wedding with all white flowers.  That is, until I attend my own wedding.

My all-time favorite flower is the red rose. I don't think J has ever gotten me any other type of flower (he's good). Oh wait, there was our first Valentine's Day (my least favorite holiday) and I told him I didn't want a big fuss and I didn't want him to get me a bunch of red roses.  So what did Mr. Smarty Pants do? He got me ONE red rose and some other flowers. Smart man. And super funny too.

So anyways, when it came time to figure out what flowers I wanted to do for the wedding, I couldn't get the picture of me carrying a huge bouquet of red roses down the aisle out of my head. The only problem is that red is not one of our colors, nor does it match at all.  And not to mention, it's a little cliche. So I nixed the red roses and decided to go with an all-white scheme for our florals.  

I googled "white flower meanings" and got this definition: "white signifies purity and perfection and can represent a successful beginning" (source).  How fitting. Perfection. Now comes the hard part: which flowers to actually use.  As far as centerpieces go, those are already taken care of with the fabulous silks we found (read that story here). The rest of our flowers (bouquets and boutonnieres) will be real. 


White roses are a given. They're sturdy and last for up to a week. Done. (Source) Isn't this bouquet breathtaking?? Simply gorgeous.

Other flowers that I'm pretty certain will be used are:


Peonies: I love the softness of them and they're also rather large, so just a few make a huge impact.  And who doesn't love that they signify a happy marriage and a happy life?! The only downside is that these beauties cost quite a bit more than other flowers. (Source)


Hydrangeas: I love the fullness of these as well. I was originally against using these, but my mom convinced me.  They're commonly used in weddings and you definitely get a bang for your buck because only a few stems are needed to make a statement. (Source)


Ranunculus: These flowers are gorgeous! I feel like they have a modern look to them, which is so me. They have a fullness to them (can you sense a trend here? I apparently like big flowers!) (Source)

I'm sure my mom will add in other fillers and greens to make them look more gorgeous, but these are the four flowers I have my heart set on.

What do you think? Have you ever been to a wedding with all-white flowers?

Til tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. Love all of those flowers! It will look gorgeous! I've never been to a wedding with all white flowers before. My bouquet was all white, but all the other flowers were white and yellow. I love the idea! Classy, modern, and elegant. Like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you include your readers in your posts, asking questions and for feedback. Thanks for letting us enjoy this exciting time with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By-the-way, all the flowers are amazing. My only thought is that tiny brides can sometimes overdo with huge bouquets...which draws the attention in the wrong direction! You don't want to be outdone by your bouquet. You've got some large flowers there, so assemble carefully...I am sure whatever you do is going to be stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth :) My mom has done tons of flowers for weddings, so we're going to do my bouquet together. We're taking into account my size, but also the shape of my dress. I will probably not have all those flowers in my bouquet, but if I do, it'll only be a few of each :)

    ReplyDelete