Tuesday, October 26, 2010

#9: Creative Memories

If you know my mom at all, you know how many events she's done. She's done weddings, anniversary parties, birthday parties, receptions for over 200 people and most recently, mine and J's engagement party. She is amazing at what she does, and it seems like, with little effort, she can do anything! Of course, being behind the scenes, I know just how much effort goes into pulling a huge event off.

I didn't inherit all of my mom's talents, but parties I can do. So naturally, my mom and I are (with J's very appreciated input) the sole creative designers for our wedding. Early on, we sat down and discussed the vision we had for our wedding with my mom. She's way better with colors and fabrics and flower names, etc. than I am, so when we gave her our ideas, she took them and ran. Only after a few months, we had gotten so much accomplished!

Mom and I took a trip to Lancaster, Pennsylvania earlier this year and our primary purpose of the trip was to check out this craft warehouse. Mom had discovered it on an earlier trip to Lancaster with my dad, and wanted to go in and check it out. Dad, unfortunately for her, didn't seem too interested (I mean, can you blame the guy?). We got there around 10am on a Saturday and we headed straight for the silk flowers section. And when I say section, I mean half the store. I have never seen so many beautiful silks in my life. And trust me, my mom is amazing with silk flowers! About 99.9% of her silk arrangements look real, it's crazy. We went in with the intention of buying all the flowers for our centerpieces.

My mom is a florist by hobby, and knows practically every flower name and how much water and sun it needs, so I decided to quiz her. And boy, was she good. She faltered slightly on one and as I was about to correct her (with the help of the name on the price tag), she corrected herself. I, on the other hand, frequently shouted down the aisles to her, "Look mom, more white flowers!" or "What's this green stuff?" So informative. Just keeping it classy here, folks.

After the flower section, we headed to the craft section. We found several wooden letters we can use for monograms, but not much else in the way of paper goods. Upon entering the furniture section, though, we got into trouble.

When we left the store, a good three hours after we arrived, we had two carts full of flowers and vases, two 4' tall wooden plant stands, and a gorgeous mirror. We had also met the owners of the warehouse and had several employees help up load stuff into our car. I'd say it was a success. I felt like a VIP.

Since that trip, we've gotten our invitations, paper for programs, menu cards and place cards, and half of the materials we need for our favors (those won't be revealed before the wedding, they're too awesome!).

Less than eight months to go, and I'm feeling ahead of the game.
What else do you think needs to/can be done this early?

Til tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment