Monday, October 25, 2010

#8: I Want to Have My Cake and Eat it Too!

I love cake. If you've known me for any length of time, or at least the time encompassing my birthday, you know that my favorite flavor is funfetti. Yes, I am aware that I am 23 years old. I have asked for a funfetti cake every birthday for at least the past five years. I have no idea what it is about funfetti that is so appealing, but it's just so...fun.

My favorite form of eating cake is in the cup form. Cupcakes, that is. I am well-known among my friends for my three loves: J, shoes, and cupcakes (in that specific order). You would think with such a strong affinity for the cake of cups, I would have already figured out and designed my wedding cakeness. But, alas, I am so far from making a decision it's not even funny.

I just got an e-mail from Theknot.com today, and at the 8 month mark (eek!), I am supposed to find a baker and sign all the necessary forms regarding my cake between now and Christmas. This creates a slight panic in my indecisive core. I'm sure J will go along with whatever I decide to do, but that's just it. I have to DECIDE.

I've always wanted to have cupcakes at my wedding. Within two weeks of being engaged, I had already contacted Georgetown Cupcake for pricing and delivery information. I looked at the flavor menu, according to the month and day of the week our wedding was in, and picked about four flavors I thought our guests would like the most. Fast forward 10 months and I've already changed my mind three times.

I go back and forth between the cupcakes (both professionally done and DIY) and a traditional cake (also professionally done and DIY). I spend quite a bit of time on wedding planning websites and reading bridal magazines, and let me tell you, I've seen A LOT of absolutely breathtaking cakes. I think cake is like a work of art. Unfortunately for me, these works of art cost a crap ton of money! An average wedding cake in the NoVA area is upwards of $500! I'm sorry, I love my guests, but that's (ahem) more than my wedding dress, something that you DON'T eat and isn't gone in 2.5 seconds.

So far, my options are:
1. Georgetown cupcakes (4 different flavors//easiest option)
2. Homemade cupcakes (4+ different, unique flavors//cheap option, but most time-consuming also)
3. Homemade wedding cake (Very simple, probably butter-cream or similar icing, not fondant//cheap option, but we run the risk of having a horrible looking cake if not done perfectly)
4. Professionally done cake (Most expensive option, but probably the biggest bang with regards to appearance)

Your thoughts?

Til tomorrow...

5 comments:

  1. If you decide on the DIY cupcakes let me know and I can help make some! I'm not good at frosting... making it or decorating, but i can bake the cakes of cup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help make cupcakes as well!
    I think that a cake should taste delicious first and foremost.
    Then we get into other things.
    I think if cupcakes are so important to you, then you should do them, or you might always regret it.
    But if you want to minimize on stress, then a cake might be good. Just so long it won't ruin everything if it doesn't come out absolutely perfect.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever you do, whether cup or cake, DO NOT DIY!!!! Sweetie, do not put that kind of stress on yourself! Believe me, there will be enough as it is--as one who has been there. You need to get as much enjoyment out of the event as possible. Whatever you can outsource, do it. Georgetown Cupcakes sounds just great. I've actually been looking forward to seeing your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to agree with Mama G. If you decide on DIY, perhaps go with HSGFDI (have some good friends do it). Maybe people you trust that aren't involved in the wedding itself. I can't imagine having to make a few hundred cupcakes the day before/of the wedding. If you do go with HSGFDI, you'll definitely have to be ok with it not looking perfect as good as your friends might be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually have 5+ people (including very talented bakers and decorators) that would be able to take the bulk of the project for me. I like to bake, and use it as a way to relax, but I definitely wouldn't be taking on the whole task by myself.

    The one thing about Georgetown Cupcake that gets me is the price. It's not a dime cheaper than a professionally done cake, and I wouldn't be able to do unique flavors that represent J and I as a couple. They only have 10 flavors available on a Saturday in June and there's not a lot of variety (mostly vanilla and chocolate combos, not really our faves).

    Making our own cupcakes is cost effective and we'd have complete control over what flavors they were.

    Luckily, we have some time to figure it out. I can actually place an order with GC up to 24 hours in advance, so if it gets closer to the wedding and the thought of those cupcakes make me jittery, I can just hand it over to them.

    Talked to J last night and he said definitely cupcakes because he knows they're a part of my dream wedding :) I'm a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete