Saturday, October 30, 2010

#13: Decent Delectables

We just finished with the tasting at Old Hickory Golf Club. There were only about 7 or 8 couples and a hand full of parents on hand to eat some grub. They had a handful of vendors, including three bakeries, one florist and a couple DJs. My mom and J's mom went with us and it was really nice to spend some time with them! We tasted a variety of appetizers and three entree choices. We were definitely more impressed with the appetizers than the entrees. Among the appetizers that we sampled were bacon wrapped scallops, crab in filo with a roasted red pepper sauce, lamb shank, coconut shrimp with a honey apricot chipotle glaze, and chicken satay with a peanut sauce. Our top favorites were the scallops, the crab and the coconut shrimp. If you know me, you know I don't do seafood...needless to say, I was seafood-ed out today!

The entrees we tried were salmon in what tasted like a butter sauce (J and I aren't huge fans of salmon, but I put on my big girl panties and took a bite), chicken breasts in a mushroom type sauce and a beef brisket also in a mushroom sauce. None of us were truly impressed with any one entree, but we deemed the salmon and beef brisket passable. Luckily for us, we are able to change up the menu and let the chef know if we'd like to change anything. He'll let us know what's possible and, if applicable, any additional cost per person.

The three bakeries provided cake and cupcake samples. The first one had red velvet, carrot and white raspberry cakes. I wasn't a fan of the first two (I didn't try the raspberry one), but my mom liked the carrot cake (I thought the icing was way too sweet and was too much for the cake itself. A second bakery had two cakes to sample, one was chocolate on chocolate (pretty dark good and chocolatey) and another white cake with a sweet icing. The last bakery we tried only supplied cupcakes. J and my mom chose a white cupcake with white icing and boyyy was it was NOT good!

Turning our attention to other sweets, we headed over to the chocolate fountain. The fountain had a sweet Belgian chocolate and we tried strawberries, rice krispie treats and cake pops in the chocolate. Yum! Although we like he idea of a chocolate fountain, we have better and more fun uses for our money.

Well, that was a long post for today, so I'll leave you with a question: what is the BEST food you've ever had at a wedding?

PS: This entire post was written on my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment