Wednesday, October 27, 2010

#10: Music Makes the People Come Together, Yeah

Yeah, you know you were humming that song as you read the title. Don't lie. While I'm not a huge Madonna fan, you have to admit she has a point (or at least her songwriters do). I can't remember the last time I heard an upbeat song and not felt the urge to dance, sometimes in a room full of people I don't know. Our wedding reception is going to be one huge dance party.

Every time I think of weddings, I think of the movies 27 Dresses and The Wedding Planner. I love The Wedding Planner for Jennifer Lopez's character. She's so put together and organized when planning her clients' weddings, and I hope to be just as organized for mine (so far, so good). I love 27 Dresses for the overall story but also for 2 specific scenes. I love the upbeat beginning of it, with everybody dancing and Katherine Heigl's character, Jane, running back and forth between two different weddings she's in. The song is Michael Jackson's "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" and is just one of the those songs that makes you wanna dance, even though I know your dance moves don't really compare with Michael's.


The other scene I love is one that J laughs at me about. I'm ashamed to say when I saw this scene for the first time, I didn't even know who sang the song! So ashamed. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6MSlDoHJU4&feature=related

Yes, friends. That is THE Elton John's song. Like I said, so ashamed. But every time I hear this song, which is quite often since I just downloaded it onto my iPhone, I think of this scene and get the urge to sing along and dance on a bar.
One day, I'll get to cross it off my bucket list. If you mention this to my parents, you can leave the "dance on a bar" part off. Unless you would like to accompany my dad to the ER for an anxiety attack.

I've been thinking a lot about the music for our wedding lately. I want to have a good mix of Motown, oldies, rock n' roll, and maybe a little of my country mixed in (nothing about dogs, shotguns, or mamas, but I can't guarantee nothing about beer or drinking). I'm not the kind of bride (as of yet) that doesn't want the Macarena or Chicken Dance at her wedding, I think they'd be kind of fun! (Side note: just googled "wedding dance songs" and those two were on most of the "Do Not Play" lists...oh well).

J and I are actually compiling all the music for the wedding ourselves. DJs are out of our budget and frankly, not a top priority for us. Good music is, just not the overpriced, loud-booming-voice-that-you-usually-can't-understand-because-they're-talking-so-loud-with-their-mouth-touching-the-microphone-so-what-you-hear-sounds-similar-to-an-adult-in-Peanuts. We will most likely have a friend man the iTunes playlist for us and act as our MC (the non-yelling kind) for the night. So what we need is your help!

Tell us the songs that make you want to get up and dance, and help us compile a good dance mix for the reception!

4 comments:

  1. Ive been in an almost anticipation mood waiting to read the next post in this blog. I have to admit positively that reading about your planning and expectations, has brought back vivid memories of my wedding 368 days ago. I have a funny anecdote about music. I worked on our reception playlist for months leading up to the event. I arranged the tunes in the order I wanted them. I had the best mix of music (in my opinion) I had the perfect first song cued and ready... In all my planning of music, I never "hired" someone to man the iPod. So I ended up with "The Final Countdown" by Europe looped. It wasn't until around play count 9 or 10 that I realized I hadn't heard any of the spectacular music I had spent so much time finding, downloading and syncing. Just thought I'd spread some smiles with my experiences. I was going to comment on your previous post, but thought against it, as I sheepishly don't know you very well and didn't want a stranger to invade your space. -Ry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know. All those good classic songs are the best to play at anything I think. The kind that people will claim they don't like, but everybody knows all the words, so everyone gets into it. The kind of songs that you can just shout really loudly too and make charades your dance moves (if you know what I mean). I love that scene from 27 Dresses too. Totally expecting to hear that at your wedding, and Michael Jackson is ALWAYS a smart choice. I found it so tiring coming up with songs to play. I just asked my sister for good ones, cause she loves the hits from the 80s and such. Didn't end up playing most of them too. It's surprising how fast the time goes and you don't even have enough time to play all the songs you want! Just have to pick a few from each genre, and don't forget a slow song or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I-I-I-I came to dance, dance, dance, dance
    I hit the floor cause that's
    my plans, plans, plans, plans
    I'm wearing all my favorite
    Plans, plans, plans, plans
    Give me space for both my hands, hands, hands, hands
    You, you cause it goes on and on and on
    And it goes on and on and on yeaaah

    I throw my hands up in the air sometimes
    Saying ayo gotta let go
    I wanna celebrate and live my life
    Saying ayo baby, let's go

    Cause we gon' rock this club
    We gon' go all night we gon' light it up
    Like it's dynamite
    Cause I told you once now I told you twice
    We gon' light it up like it's dynamite

    I came to move, move, move, move
    Get out the way me and
    my crew, crew, crew, crew
    I'm in the club so I'm gonna do, do, do, do
    Just drop the phone
    Came here to do, do, do, do

    OF coarse this must be a MUST :)
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan: Thanks for the comment! You are always welcome to leave them here! I appreciate the input. I'll also pay special attention to make sure I don't have our songs on loop! :)

    Rachel: Charades as dance moves are a definite must. I am so excited for the dance party! :))

    Ash: You know me too well! That will always be OUR song! <3

    ReplyDelete