Friday, November 5, 2010

#19: Where, ware, wear

Now that you've gotten introduced to our venue and the overall scheme of our wedding, we should get into my favorite aspect of life: clothes! Of course I can't reveal anything about my dress except for what I already revealed here. So I'll tell you about what everyone else is wearing!

Boys: I always envisioned the guys being in black tuxes, with gel in their hair, looking all suave and debonair. Unfortunately, J did not have the same vision. So we've scaled back a little on the men's attire (I also just realize I've used the words "boys," "guys" and "men" in this paragraph thus far. They grow up right before your eyes, I tell you). Since our color scheme doesn't include any black, the tux idea is completely out. Then I thought all the guys would look super dapper in khaki colored suits with brown dress shoes. Well, scratch that idea too, because I haven't found a place that rents suits yet!

So here's the guys breakdown:
J - khaki suit (Purchasing this one. He has a black suit, but needs something a little lighter for the summer, so it'll be a good investment).  J will actually have a wardrobe change between the ceremony and reception (yeah...I don't even get one). He will be changing from his suit into an outfit that matches the rest of the groomsmen.

Rest of the guys - khaki pants (doesn't matter what shade, we just asked for no pleats...yes, this is more important than you think), white button down (every guy owns one, right?) and we asked them to purchase a pair of Tom's shoes.  J has a pair of Tom's and loves them, and since the guys are providing the rest of the outfit basically from their own closet, we don't really have a problem with the $60 price tag on these shoes (especially since you're technically paying for two pairs of shoes).  And luckily, none of the guys had a problem with doing this either.  J is going to provide the guys with chocolate brown suspenders and my mom and I have the task of finding coordinating, but not matching ties for all the guys.  Good thing we're experienced tie-buyers.

The best man will also be wearing a jacket with his outfit, to distinguish him from the rest of the guys.

Ladies - When I told my bridesmaids my idea for their dresses, I was met with "you are the best bride," "are you serious?!" and "sweet." I don't want robot bridesmaids, so the idea of having them be matchy-matchy is not appealing to me.  They're also all different body types, ranging from 5 foot nothing to 5'9" and varying skin and hair colors.   I decided to let my girls pick their dresses from David's Bridal.  I gave them a few criteria:
1. A short length (my MOH (sister) will have a floor length gown, to distinguish her from the rest))
2. One of five colors (all shades of brown...and coincidentally all have to do with food...)
3. Minimal shininess (ie, no silk fabrics) because I'm really not a fan of bling and sparkles

They will all be wearing silver shoes and I haven't figured out jewelry or anything yet.  My girls will be looking fly though, that's for sure.

When we put up our wedding website (via Peter Davis Photography), you will see just how attractive our wedding party is. No lie. Modeling agencies will be knocking down our door.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to ditch the tuxes for a summer wedding! I was a groomsman in an outdoor July 1 wedding - we wore tuxes and nearly passed out from the heat! Can't wait to get going on the website and meet all of your bridal party!

    ReplyDelete