Thursday, November 18, 2010

#32: Revisiting An Old Friend

My oldest nephew E, let's just call him Little Monster (he is the cutest little monster in the world), learned a new word over the past couple weeks. It's "cake." Now while I wish I could take the credit for teaching LM this word, I have absolutely no idea where he picked it up. Not that I'm complaining.

So anyways, I thought it would be nice to revisit the cake post of yore (which seemed to garner a lot of comments).

What I failed to mention in this post was my fabulous cousin, sister from another mister, and twinnie "K Now" (like your nickname lovey?).  She is the most fabulous cousin a girl could have.  She lives in my home state of California, and boy do I hate her for it.  Anyways, she came to visit this summer for about two weeks and since she had been taking some baking and cake decorating classes, I thought I would have her do our wedding cake.  This two-tier cake was going to be funfetti (duh) and go with our cupcakes, so J and I would cut our cake, and the guests would all have cupcakes.

What I hadn't taken into consideration, and came up just a week or two ago, was that our venue doesn't allow outside food (it's a liability issue with possible food contamination, and totally understandable). Bummer. So now we have to find a bakery to produce our wedding cake, but we still have the option of doing cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake as well.

Now comes your input, which is so greatly appreciated.

What's your take on how wedding cakes should be decorated? Let's play a little My Fair Wedding: I'll give you three choices, you tell me which one you like the best (and second best) and then you wait until the wedding day to see what I've chosen :)

Option 1:  This cake made my heart beat just a little faster when I saw it on modernwedding.org! Why didn't I think of this before? No frosting on the outside! I got mixed reactions from my family (split about 50/50), so let me know what you think!

Option 2: This is a little whimsical cake covered in fondant. It mixes up the shapes and heights and incorporates our green color. (Courtesy of theknot.com)
 Option 3: I like the texture of this cake and the fact that all the tiers are square. Take off the coat of arms from the top tier and all the dendrobium orchids all around and add a monogram cake topper and maybe a little more texture in the frosting.
 Now it's your turn! Tell me your favorite!

10 comments:

  1. Option 1 is definitely my favorite. So different and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u know my pick!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE #1!!

    and.. you don't have to thank me for introducing you to the cake.. i already know I'm great ;D just kidding <3 u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :: #1!!!....definitely. Do it hams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a fan of #3. Love it when cakes are iced that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. #2 is my favorite, #1 second. All of them are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, anything Hillary Duff does is cool, so...

    I vote for #1, then #3. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok i have to vote again. I love #1. If you're not doing it for your wedding I'm doing it for mine! IT'll still be cool in 10 years!! :D

    ReplyDelete