Wednesday, November 17, 2010

#31: Girl's Best Friend

True story: I threw my jewelry at an old man today.

Ok, I didn't do it on purpose. I was in line at Subway and getting my card out to pay for my lunch and whoosh!! My bracelet flew off my wrist! And into the old man!

His response? "I've never had anyone throw jewelry at me before!"

When I got to my office, I started thinking about how I could make this into a blog post (gotta have some kind of inspiration every day!). And then it hit me: I haven't talked about jewelry yet!

Just to forewarn you: this post will be chock-full of pictures! Of diamonds! Everyone loves diamonds. Girls love them well...because they're diamonds! And boys love them because they make girls happy! (Seriously, just ask J how many times I have squealed while looking at my ring...ok, it might have something to do with the whole getting married thing too...)

When I got my dress, my mom started asking what kind of jewelry I wanted to wear. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I want to wear a whole lot. I'm really simple when it comes to jewelry. I mean, I wear the same studs in my ears everyday, and occasionally throw on a necklace or a bracelet, but never both at the same time.

 I went to a bridal show with bridesmaid K in September. And we saw a fashion show. Where I saw my dress on the runway. I squealed with delight.

Oh, right. Jewelry. I digress. Anyways, one of the models (and a seriously sassy one, at that) was wearing a cuff bracelet that sparkled like the ocean on a cloudless sunny day. I loved it! Only problem is, I'm having trouble finding one just like it. Obviously, my budget doesn't allow for real sparkle, but hey, sometimes fake is just as good (and much easier on the ol' wallet).

I found something somewhat close, but not really, at Kohl's: Stretch bracelet
It's not quite what I'm looking for, but I kinda can't afford this:

Yes, folks. That is a thing of beauty. 52.61 carats. Only a cool $153,000. Thanks to artfinding.com for that gorgeousness.

Now that I've wiped the drool off my keyboard, let's move on.
I was perusing the Kohl's website at work one day (sorry, boss) and came across this gorgeous set:
necklace
earrings
Much more affordable at about $1,400, but still wayyy out of my price range. I asked J for the money, and he said he'd send it, but I have this sinking feeling he has no intention of sending it and was just pulling my leg. Bummer. I still love him.

Now, I'm planning on wearing a cuff similar to the one that costs more than I make in, oh, six years. But much more affordable, like this one from Overstock.com:
Not quite the same, but pretty darn close for only 45 buckaroos!

Or maybe this one, also $45, from Overstock.com:


I'm going to pair the bracelet with a pair of studs. I'm not one for wearing dangle-y earrings or anything that stretches your earlobe to look abnormal.

I'm a fan of these:
Although, I think those look more every day than wedding day (sorry, I clicked out of the window before I could note where I got these from!).

I could go a little fancier, maybe like these:
(Photo courtesy of www.steven-stone.co.uk) £4,045.00, or about $6,435 US. 


Le sigh.

After writing this post, I am no closer to finding my wedding jewelry than I was when I started. The only thing I have accomplished is further deepening my love for diamonds.

What do you think? What jewelry did you wear on your wedding day? Do you love diamonds like me? Would you like to contribute to my diamond fund?

2 comments:

  1. Let me just say you are a fabulous writer! And yes, I will contribute to your diamond fund - how would $5 do to start? :) I wore a diamond and pearl brooch that can also be a necklace that was my grandmothers. I love diamonds too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! I have the same jewelry woes when I dream about my own very-far-off wedding lol. The one thing I know for sure is that I want it to be a slightly fancier version of me, but nothing out of this world. Like you, I LOVE diamonds. I love the second pair of earrings (the teardrops) and I think the first Overstock bracelet is gorgeous too. I've heard of services where you can rent your wedding jewelry (http://www.adorn.com/) -- a good, affordable alternative, but it wouldn't allow you to treasure the piece forever and pass it down. Might at least be nice to browse!

    ReplyDelete