Monday, November 15, 2010

#29: Work It Out

I hate working out. But I love being active. I would much rather go for a walk than jump on a treadmill. Unfortunately for me, though, this time of year doesn't bode well for walks. By the time I get home from work, it's usually 7:30pm. During the summer, it's still light outside at that time, but now it's too dark and too cold.

I have a feeling some weight is going to creep up on me this winter. I've been feeling so sluggish even though I've only gained about five pounds in the past six months or so.  I've been trying to eat right, even though it's not always easy in my household of eight, and I've been drinking a lot of water.  I cut out my three-plus-cans-of-Coke-a-day habit about 12 weeks ago, and since then, I've only had about six total.  I definitely feel better when I'm hydrated.  My major problem is stayed disciplined and motivated. I'm not exercising to lose weight, although I could stand to lose those five pounds from my thighs.  I'm more exercising to get in better shape and to feel better overall.  I'd also like to tone up my arms for the Big Day and tone up my tummy and thighs for the Big Vacation.

I feel like if I had a partner to work out with, I'd be more likely to get excited about it. J and I plan to work out together once we're married, but for now, we can't.  He does his thing, I do mine.  I've gone to the gym with friends a few times, but paying every time I go is a little expensive.  I feel like I would never go if I paid for a monthly membership. Life always seems to get in the way. I'm sure I'll get more motivated once next spring rolls around and I feel more of a burden to fit in that dress!

I got on the treadmill tonight before I video chatted with J. I usually put the incline all the way up to ten, so it's more like hiking, and I put my speed on my usual fast walking pace of 3.5. I didn't last very long before I began experiencing tightening and sharp pains in my chest and I was having trouble breathing.  I have a strong feeling it's related to my allergies, because I've been pretty sick for about the past two or three days.  So I only got ten minutes in for today, instead of my usual 30+ minutes.  Better luck next time, I guess.

What's your workout regime in the winter? Do you slack off? How do you stay motivated? Do you have a workout partner?  How do you avoid eating everything in sight once the holidays come? Do you take any supplements?

No comments:

Post a Comment