Sunday, February 6, 2011

#111: Cribs

Was I the only person to watch that show on MTV? I remember watching the episode with Mariah Carey's New York Penthouse (ooo, and this is weird, she just popped up on my iTunes...). Anyways, I completely drooled over her closet. It was literally the size of my whole basement (almost 1,000 square feet). So ridiculous. I aspire to own a closet that big one day (I have already discussed this with J, including the zebra print rug I intend to have in it). But for now, this is what I have to work with:

1. My "closet": This is actually the second clothes rod I've had since I moved into the basement in September 2008. The first one (plastic) could not hold up the weight of my massive amounts of clothes. Oh, and did I mention my laundry basket is full? Yeah, I could really use a real closet!

 2. My "drawers":  My mom is planning on using this to house part of her massive fabric collection once I move, and oddly enough, I won't miss this storage. It didn't really fit anything practical. This is what is housed in these bins: t-shirts, camisoles, leggings/tights, socks, workout clothes, and I'm ashamed to say, I have three pairs of tennis shoes in the bottom right bin. Oh, and hey, there's the magazines I "threw" out in this post...you caught me. I'm doubly ashamed now because I just realized that post was from the beginning of November. I guess I should go throw them in the trashcan tonight, since trash day is tomorrow.
 #3: My dresser: I wish this was mine, but in fact is my sister's. When I faux inherited it, it had wooden, brightly painted square knobs. Literally, they were painted red, green, blue and yellow. I removed them, and used a magic eraser to get rid of most of the residual paint. Mom hunted down these knobs for about $10 at Target and voila! It's a tad classier now.  This is a very sturdy piece of furniture, but truth be told, the drawers are rather small and don't hold too much. This dresser houses my belts and unmentionables on top, seasonal tops (tanks are in there now, and sweaters in the summer), jeans, shorts, pjs and the random miscellaneous clothing drawer. I think I have a couple men's flannel shirts, a random Hanes sweatshirt and two tank tops that are too big for me in there.

To the right of the dresser is a plastic four-drawer bin. In here I have: wallets and clutches, scarves and some really random things that I have no other place for. These things include: my cords and sashes from my GMU graduation in 2008, some glow sticks (told you it was random!), and a crocheted wine bottle bag. Please excuse the rest of the stuff piled up (although I kinda like that my shoes and jewelry bags are in this picture!). You don't even want to see the rest of the stacks of boxes and bins.
So there you have it! I can't wait to have my own space with a real closet and cohesive, practical storage. But before then, I need to purge a lot of what I have. I plan on going through all my clothes once spring hits. Every winter item that doesn't fit or won't be worn again will be donated. What I keep will be packed up. And of course, spring items I currently have will need to make way for a few new friends :)

1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, only four and a half months till you are married.
    that is a seriously small number.

    And I look forward to the day that your giant closet wish is granted to you. Mostly because it's nearly every girl's dream, but also because there aren't many people I can think of that would really make the most of such a space.

    ReplyDelete