Thursday, February 24, 2011

#129: Girl Scout Stew

I hope you didn't think of cookies in a soup when you read the title. One of my friends did when I put that I was making it for my status on facebook earlier today. I don't blame her. I don't even know how it got its name...

Even though it's almost spring (I hope!), and stew and soup recipes aren't really needed this time of year, I thought I'd share this one anyways. It's super easy (only five ingredients) and it literally takes like ten minutes to make.

Ingredients:
Hamburger (We used 80/20 ground beef)
Onion (1 whole per pound of beef)
Vegetable Beef Soup (the Campbell's condensed one//2-3 cans)
French style green beans (1-2 cans)
Canned potatoes (usually "new potatoes" work best//1-2 cans)

The ingredients all are really dependent on how much you want to make. Today, I wanted to make a lot, so I used 1.25lb beef, one large onion, four cans of soup and two cans each of potatoes and green beans.

You might be wondering why the recipe calls for canned potatoes instead of raw russett, etc. Canned new potatoes tend to be much softer. I actually only had one can tonight so I mixed in a thinly sliced russett and I could tell the difference because the russett wasn't able to cook to the same tenderness.

So here are the steps:
1. Cook ground beef and onion together in a large pan. I season it with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. When it's all cooked and the onions are translucent:
Add everything in. Seriously. There's no special order. I get OCD and put the potatoes in first, then the soup, then the green beans:


And I didn't even stir it until I had everything in there.

Let it get to a boil, then let it simmer on low for as long as you'd like.

Feel free to add to water to thin it out a little. Oh, and I should mention. Drain the potatoes before you put them in, but don't drain the green beans. Bean juice tastes much better than potato juice...


What's the easiest recipe you've got?!

1 comment:

  1. Haha I clearly just have COOKIES on my mind! :D Thanks for posting this recipe, it looks really good! I can definitely see myself making this on a rainy day. Hope you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete