Monday, February 14, 2011

#119: Valentine's Day

I am going to be perfectly honest with you right now...



I HATE Valentine's Day. I worked for Hallmark for five years, so trust me, I've seen every Valentine's gift you can buy for your significant other (or the random person you took out for Valentine's Day). The cards, the chocolates in a heart-shaped box, the stuffed animals, the necklaces and the rubber heart with the long arms and legs to wrap around a pencil (don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about!).

Yes, I've been with J for four Valentine's Days now, and yes, J is the BIGGEST romantic I've ever met. But I still think it's an over-commercialized "holiday" that is just an excuse for Hallmark (among others) to make a ton of money, playing on people's emotions.

I feel like Valentine's Day should be everyday. There shouldn't be one day only a year where you shower your loved one with gifts and adoration. It should take place every chance you get.

Now here's where I feel a little hypocritical: J and I got each other gifts this year. I know how much J likes to buy me nice things and show me how much he loves me through romantic gestures like red roses (my fave) and sweet cards. This year he bought me a gorgeous beige silk-like fabric sundress I've been wanting. And I bought him a gift in return. I'm not going to deny J the chance to show his love for me, and we've talked about this difference we have multiple times. I'm not going to change my stance on this, and J won't either.

So we'll have to learn how to deal with this, and make sure both of us end up happy. And that's what relationships are all about. Compromise.

Since J is back in Richmond, I spent my Valentine's Day at work, then watched The Bachelor with a glass (ok, several glasses...) of wine and my sister and nephew. Love it :) Wish I had spent it with J, but we had a lovely weekend together.

Image courtesy of: http://tinyurl.com/4no2mmn

No comments:

Post a Comment