Thursday, January 27, 2011

#100: Triple Digits!!

The snow cannot stop me! Especially not since today is the third Two-a-Day Thursday! I cannot believe I am in the triple digits now! I wanted to do something big and grand for my 100th post, but I think the big milestones get all the celebration and the odd numbered ones don't, so make sure you watch for an odd numbered celebratory post :)

Today I want to tell you a little story about a little cakery. I went to this cakery on January 15 to have a tasting and to hash out details of what I wanted my cake to look like (we still are not sold on getting a cake, but we're looking at prices and whether or not they're able to do the exact design I want). I opened up their look book and noticed about 34 of the SAME, EXACT cake. Everything was three tier, white buttercream frosted with hideous look flowers. The head baker told us, "We don't do fondant, we don't do square cakes, and we don't do flavored frosting." Umm, I'm sorry, what?! I had a hunch right then and there that I didn't want to do business with them. Please recall my top three cake designs from this post.

I showed them my top design (it's a secret!) and they told me I'd have to email the owner to get his approval because it's not a design they could easily approve themselves. So I shot off an email with a picture to the owner's email while I was still in the shop.

On January 25, ten days later, I still had not heard back from them. I was a little upset, seeing as how I was told I would know by January 20th at the latest. I sent another email and received two responses. One, the head baker called me and informed me that she had been sick and out of the shop and would let me know by Thursday (as in, one week later than she had originally told me) and two, an email response from the owner telling me that "this is the first email we got. I'll look at the picture and let you know by Friday."

Well, you know what buddy? I'm not cool with that. I have an email in my outbox, so it DID get sent to you and I'm also not sure why it takes three days to look at a picture and say yes or no. I am extremely disappointed with their (lack of) customer service and I certainly intend to tell them so.

On a lighter note, I emailed a second bakery (recommended by one of my amazing bridesmaids) and asked them if they were able to do the design. I got a response within two hours with a very upbeat sounding affirmative answer and a few suggestions of what we could do flavor-wise. I am so happy that they are able to do it and I'm sure I'll be setting up a consult with them in the next couple of weeks.

So, advice to future brides: if you get a gut feeling you shouldn't do business with someone, then you're probably right. Just walk away!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. If they are this hard to work with now, they will be a nightmare later on. Run, don't walk to the other baker! See you Soon!!

    ReplyDelete