Saturday, April 23, 2011

#187: Mossy G

Remember this post? Well, here is part 2: Mossy baby. Like the name? I came up with it myself. Yeah, I'm that good. The creativity is just flowing over here.

Ok, so let's get started. Obviously, I started with the above letters. I used this glue to glue the letters together. I made them flush on the back and most importantly, flush on the bottom, so that they sit level and stable.
I let the glue and letters chill out for about 30 minutes while I did some lipstick trials for the wedding and put on some teeth whitening strips. I figured this project would take about two hours and the strips took two hours, so why not kill two birds with one stone?

Then I got started. Basic supplies: Elmer's white glue (less than $3 at Wal-Mart) and moss (I used two bags from Michael's that were $5.99 each, but I got one for half price and with a returned item, I ended up spending on $6.92. Score). And last but certainly not least, I grabbed my companion kitty and let her hang out all over my extra newspaper. I love her.  And she loves newspaper something fierce.




This project was mostly trial and error. I was initially spreading the glue onto the letters with a folded up ghetto looking paper towel "brush," but it was just falling apart after a few swipes.
So I switched to just drizzling a little onto the letter and using the top of the nozzle to spread it out a little. It seemed to work well.
There were some branches and weird stuff in the moss that I picked out because I didn't really like how it looked. This was my pile o' weird stuff after only five minutes...I forgot to take a completely "after" picture.

Here's some progress shots:
 Bird's Eye View
 You can see the texture in this one.
 Front shot
 Almost got the whole front and top done!
Working towards the inside to the back. It got a little tricky at this point because I wasn't able to lay the letters on their side or anything. It took a little creativity, a lot of maneuvering and a pretty healthy dose of patience. 

And it paid off!! Here's the finished product:


Love love LOVE how this turned out! What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. SO creative! Between your creative talents and Josh's artistic ones, your kids are going to be AMAZING!!! :)

    ReplyDelete