Tuesday, March 1, 2011

#134: Home Goods

Now that we've found our home, it's time to furnish the darn thing!

I'm sure I've talked about furniture before, but just to recap:

We own virtually nothing. Between the two of us, we have:
1 dresser (J)
1 desk (J)
1 Lazy Boy Recliner (me and I love it!)
1 armless chair (me, and it's in pinks and browns and yellows...definitely needs to be recovered)
2 tvs (one from each of us/J got a pretty nice flat panel that can last as our main tv until we can afford a larger one and mine is a little 15" old school tv that works just fine and will go in our guest room)

And there you have it. We have nothing to eat off of, nothing to sleep in (recliner does NOT count) and nothing to keep our clothes in.

My main priorities are:

1. Master bedroom furniture: I plan on getting two dressers and two nightstands for our room from IKEA. Our color scheme is white, black and gray (with a splash of canary yellow), so their black-brown color will work perfectly. I'm also going to buy the protective glass tops they have available to protect our investments :)

2. Living room: We've registered for an ottoman and side tables, along with an inexpensive media cabinet. We'd like to get a pretty nice couch, one that will last us for a few years and maybe even into our next home. We've done some shopping around, but I think we might have to visit a furniture showroom to find one we really like (and can agree on!).

3. Dining Room: Obviously, we need something to eat off of. I'm hoping spring yard sales will yield a nice six person table with six fairly modern looking chairs to go with it. All at a reasonable price. This is not a crazy idea. My friend Jennifer (one of my BMs) got herself one at a yard sale and her mother-in-law helped her paint them and recover the chairs.

Our guest room would obviously be next in line for me, whereas J's office would be next in line for him. Which is fine, because they're kind of our own specific projects, so to speak. I have a clear idea of what I want my guest room to look like (first job is to slipcover my recliner and put that baby in there!), and I'm sure his office is going to look amazing.

We're hoping to start our lease at the beginning of June, which would give us at least two weekends to paint and move things in.

Any suggestions on where to buy a nice couch? Preferably a store with a location in Richmond :)

No comments:

Post a Comment