Sunday, March 6, 2011

#139: Home Sweet Home

I've spent a lot of time recently (especially since we found our apartment complex) thinking about how I want our home to look and function. I never thought I would be the girl to get giddy over dressers and rugs and accent pillows, but...here I am. And I'm excited.

I find myself perusing the pottery barn and crate and barrel websites for inspiration, then looking somewhere less expensive to find actual pieces. We've actually acquired an oak "secretary" type table that we're planning on using in our entryway to house our keys (in a cute bowl, of course) and to put outgoing mail and other such things. My great aunt and uncle were so generous to offer it to us and they also offered us an armchair! We weren't sure at first if the size and/or color was right (it's a light sage green), but the more we thought about it, the more we're sure it will work and will be a great addition to our home! I've always been wary of buying/getting furniture from craigslist, thrift stores, etc (mainly fabric furniture), so to get pieces from family is great. And what's even better is that they're holding onto this furniture until we have a place to put it! Such a blessing, because God knows we have NO free space anywhere right now!

I have a lot of DIY projects to do for our home (not to mention 500 times more than that for the wedding!), but first I need to learn how to sew and I need the weather to warm up. My major projects I'd like to get done before we move in are:

1. Sew all accent pillow covers using the fabric I've acquired over the past year. I have three great black and white prints for our bedroom, and a great flannel fabric for our living room, with possibly enough left over to make a table runner of some sort.

2. Strip and stain or paint my cedar chest. I received it as a gift from my great aunt (the same one mentioned above) and it used to belong to my great grandmother. It holds a special place in my heart and I've been storing things for my future home in it since I was 15. I've obviously had to expand my storage quite a bit, but I've loved using it over the years. Josh and I plan to put it in our bedroom if space allows. I'd like to use it to hold heirlooms and things especially important to us. Right now it's painted cream and I'd like to be able to see the natural wood before I make my decision about staining or painting it.

3. Slipcover my armless chair. I think I've sat in this chair maybe ten times since I got it seven years ago. I love the design of it and I'm planning on finding a nice black/white/gray fabric to slipcover it for our bedroom. I'll also need to paint the legs/

4. Paint metal jewelry holder. J and I found a great metal jewelry holder for me. I'd been looking for one for awhile and there it was in Home Goods, just waiting for me! The only problem is that it's cream so it'll need to be painted to match our bedroom. I was thinking originally of painting it black, but as time has progressed and we've settled on black furniture, I'm leaning more towards a metallic gray or white. Not a big job, and should be able to do this and get it off my list as soon as the weather warms up and stays warm.

So there you have just one of the MANY lists rolling around in my mind. And don't worry, as I get these projects done, there will be tons of pictures to show you!

Do you have any DIY projects you're waiting on Spring to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment