Sunday, May 22, 2011

#215: ConGRADulations!

The reason I didn't post Friday was because I was busy attending TWO graduation ceremonies at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University). J and his roomate, B, graduated this semester and their department graduations were both on Friday. It worked out perfectly.

J's graduation was at noon, and I rode with the Meltons (family J has lived with for the past three years, love them!) over to the ceremony, where we met up with J's parents. The ceremony itself was boring, entertaining, depressing, cold, boring, interesting and boring all at the same time. Sense a trend? The speaker was depressing (he stated the unemployment rate, said it didn't look good, said success was failure...I was a little lost). 

The cool part about the graduation (since it was HUGE. All the art departments were included, like communication arts (J's department), music, theatre, scuplture and fashion) was the "Family Photo Pit." They set up a designated place for family and friends to take pictures right in front of the stage. It was awesome. And the graduates sat to the right of the stage. J sat in the fifth row, two seats in from the outside aisle. It was a perfect place for him to sit, because I was able to see him! It was so nice! (This is your fair warning: there are a TON of pictures in this post!!!)

This was my view from my seat. You can't tell from this picture, but this is when all the graduates were filing in to their seats. I was so sad I couldn't see J walking in! I actually saw his friend Noah, and little did I know, J was two people in front of him! 

Each department had their own sign/banner/sculpture. J's department (communication arts) is the one on the right that says "OPEN." 

 My view from the family photo pit.
 Zoomed in on the graduates! Can you see J? Hint: he's got his head down because he was texting me!
There we go! Handsome man!

Going to get his diploma (forgive my iPhone for the blurryness).
 A picture off J's mom's camera. Happy!
 J decided to park in a two hour street spot...for a two hour graduation ceremony. We decided a ticket would be worth paying, but I prayed that he wouldn't get one. And he didn't! Praise God for answering that prayer.
 With my graduate!
 Mom and Dad G with J :)
Momma Beth and her boys!
In the back of J's parent's car on the way back to the Melton's for a little grub before B's graduation!

After some food, we headed back into the city for B's graduation. It was much smaller than J's, and frankly, a little more entertaining.
Us with B! Congrats again!

After my second grad ceremony, J and I grabbed some grub and I headed home. It was a great couple days in Richmond and I can't wait till I'm living there permanently!

1 comment:

  1. I think Benjamin's graduation was more entertaining because you got to sit with josh the whole time! :)

    ReplyDelete