Monday, December 6, 2010

#50: Mish mosh

I really wanted my 50th post to be something absolutely amazing and awe-inspiring. Unfortunately, I've had a migraine since 6am and also have some serious knots in my shoulders and neck. Therefore, I am stealing some style wisdom from Lucky Magazine. I just got my first issue of it in the mail today (thank you to my knee-high boot purchase from October...I got a free year subscription with my purchase!) and I just skimmed through it quickly. 2010 is the 10th anniversary of the first issue of Lucky Mag and a lot of this issue's articles had things in groups of ten. The best article was "After a Decade at Lucky, these are the 100 edicts that we, the editors, live by." Here are some of my favorites:

1. Don't shop for clothes when you're thin, tan or in the Bahamas because everything looks good when you're thin, tan and in the Bahamas.

2.  Looking for a dress when you actually need one will rarely lead to success. (So true!)

3. Most useless advice from a salesperson: "You can wear it with jeans."

4. If something is expensive, leave it behind for 24 hours. If you're still obsessed with it the next day, buy it. (I usually wait a week if it's really expensive. And if it's no longer there, then I wasn't mean to have it!)

5. Black will always be the new black. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something. (Amen)

6. Never get on an airplane without a cashmere blanket or huge scarf. (I'm always freezing on plane and in airports. You know I'll be following this flying to my honeymoon!)

7. Your waist isn't where you think it is. It's about three inches higher.  Put another way: the most flattering spot for a waisted dress to hit is just under the rib cage. (Yes Mom, you were right.)

8. If you invest in a Chanel (I'm changing this to Louis Vuitton) bag, you will carry it for the rest of your life.

9. By age 30, every woman should own three pairs of comfortable flats, three pairs of walkable heels, and two pairs of total sexpot stilettos. (That's just the minimum, J. It went on to say that if you're going to have more, you should own them in multiples of five. Ok, it didn't really...but I love shoes.)

10. The best and most comfortable flats are usually the cheapest. (Again, so true.)

11. A long-sleeved gown can be completely sexy. The same is not true of a long skirt and long-sleeved top, which can look completely polygamist. (hahaha)

12. Pairing a boyish piece with a girly one will make you look like you know how to dress. (Flowy dress and tuxedo jacket? Yes, please!)

Which ones do you agree with? Disagree with? Which ones would you modify to fit your life (see #8 and #9)?

PS: Today's post marks the fifth-of-the-way mark! Only 200 posts to go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment