Saturday, December 4, 2010

#48: Cinderella

Sometimes I feel like Cinderella. No, no not the princess with the gorgeous dress/perfectly coiffed hair/horse and carriage part. The on-her-hands-and-knees-cleaning part. I feel like I'm always cleaning something. Bathrooms, kitchens, bedrooms, something.

Here's the kicker: I love cleaning. Give me loads of laundry to do and I'm a happy girl. Before I became an old lady with my back problems, I used to love vacuuming. I leave that to my dad now. I love seeing the before and afters; being able to see the progress I've made. Weird, I know. And no, I'm not for hire and I would NOT like to come clean your house.

I love being able to help my parents out around the house. It's sort of like earning my keep, but that's not really how I see it. I see it as a thank you to my parents for the free roof over my head and the food in my stomach. It's a thank you for all the things they've done for me, even though some cleaning doesn't even come close to the sacrifices they've made for me over the past 23+ years.

In six months and three weeks, I will have my own house to clean. I think the dynamic of cleaning is going to drastically change for me.  I think it's going to turn into a pride thing. I want to be proud of my home, and I intend on keeping it in tip-top condition and clean. There might be some dust here and there (which should be easily cleanable since we're not knick-knack people), but I'm not the kind of person who lets dishes pile up in the sink or laundry pile up in the hamper. The second I see something needs to be done, I do it. I'm not a "oh, I'll do it later" girl. I'm a "do it now or it will never get done" girl. That's probably why I'm always moving, always doing something. I feel so strange sitting down and doing nothing.

What's your cleaning dynamic? Do you like to clean? Was it different when you moved into your own place?
Sorry if my thoughts are jumbled...I've been cleaning all day!

1 comment:

  1. I just hope that when life demands that cleaning needs to take a back seat for a bit, you can do that with grace... :)

    ReplyDelete