Saturday, June 4, 2011

#229: IKEA, Unloaded

I told you I'd let you know what we got from IKEA the other night and here I am!

J and I really like the MALM series (in the black-brown for our bedroom) and decided we'd get the two drawer dressers and use them as nightstands.
Imagine our surprise when we got to the showroom and realized just how SMALL they were! The width and depth were fine, but they were super short. Definitely wouldn't work as nightstands. So, plan B. We decided to move up in size to a three drawer dresser.
It's about nine inches higher than the two drawer dresser, which will make it a perfect height for a nightstand. We decided to buy one, and try it out before buying another one. I won't be living in the apartment until after the wedding, so J will be trying out the nightstand/dresser.

We also decided to purchase the four drawer version of the dresser. Our original plan was to purchase two of the two drawer and two of the four drawer, but since we upgraded to the three drawer, we decided to opt for only one four drawer (you still with me here?). With the original plan, we really only had eight full size dresser drawers for the two of us. With Plan B, we now have ten!

We also decided to get the protective glass for the top of the dressers. I was unaware that the glass came in white/clear, so we ended up purchasing it in dark gray, which is still totally fine.
On our way out of the self-service area with our dressers and glass, we passed a display for the LACK coffee table. I thought, what the heck. It's only twenty bucks! We picked it up in the birch veneer for our living room. Why that color and not a dark color for the living room, you may ask? We decided to match it to the kitchen cart I picked up a couple weeks ago. The kitchen cart will be living in the dining room as a sideboard of sorts, so putting the LACK table in the living room will tie the two rooms together.
 I also wanted to pick up a couple wastebaskets. I knew that IKEA would have silver ones, and I knew we at least needed one in our bathroom/bedroom area and probably another one in J's office or somewhere. So we picked up two of these puppies (at $3.99 a piece, not too shabby):

I won't lie. The trip was a little expensive. For all of the items I listed above (one-three drawer dresser, one-four drawer dresser, two glass tops, a coffee table and two wastebaskets), our total came to $248. But for everything we got, I think we did great. It was so much fun to pick out things for OUR home.

Three weeks to go!!

1 comment:

  1. I have that dresser (the three drawer) and that coffee table, but in black. Ikea is amazing. Be careful, don't put anything too hot on the coffee table, it makes the table warp. :[

    ReplyDelete